By all accounts, Kenya is a glorious country to visit. This East African nation offers everything from world-famous lakes to incredible national parks and some dreamy, oh-so-romantic accommodation to boot.
Add to that, stunning scenery, rich flora and fauna, unique experiences and of course, great culture and cuisine – and you are all set for a magical escape with your partner, new-found lover, flame or special spouse.
Whether you want to relive your honeymoon, celebrate a babymoon before a new chapter in your life as a couple begins – or simply travel together as a young pair and experience a gorgeous slice of Africa, Kenya and its romantic experiences are perfect for you!
Here are five fun and romantic places to explore in Kenya with the love of your life:
1) Savour Beach Paradise near Watamu
This small, yet beautiful coastal town is famous for its stunning, sugar-white beaches and tranquil atmosphere. The village is nestled between Watamu Marine National Park and Arabuko Sokoke National Park, as well as beautiful beaches, making it a truly unique, highly romantic destination.
This beaches here are not only breathtaking with their pristine, white shorelines, crystal clear ocean waters and fun, water-based activities – but they also offer a peaceful, idyllic escape ideal for love-struck couples.
Here, guests can enjoy everything from kite surfing to discovering local, rich culture, scuba diving and even a few local attractions like Mida Creek or the nearby, historic Gedi Ruins.
Best of all, accommodation options include everything from great resorts to boutique hotels and even private homes and villas, ideal for couples’ seclusion.
2) Embark on a Sunrise/Sunset Safari in a National Park or Reserve
One thing Kenya is not short of is excellent national parks and reserves – and with them, a host of spectacular experiences (think: safaris, game spotting and even incredible, eco-friendly hot air adventures), beautiful accommodation (from tented lodges to luxury safari camps) and above all, plenty of special scenery and life-changing travel moments just waiting there for you to share with the one you love.
Without listing all the national parks, here are a few of our favourites:
- Nairobi National Park: Located a short distance outside Nairobi’s CBD, this beautiful national park offers wonderful wildlife viewing (some 100 mammal species, including four of the Big Five and rich birdlife to boot); lovely picnic- and camp-sites; and even walking trails.
- Buffalo Springs National Reserve: This national reserve in northern Kenya is particularly famous for its leopard sightings, although it offers excellent wildlife viewing in general. It is less busy than its sister park, Samburu and therefore offers a more intimate escape, perfect for couples. Like Kenya’s other parks and reserves, accommodation is delightful in and around this reserve.
- Tsavo West- and East-National Parks: As Kenya’s oldest (particularly Tsavo East) and largest parks, combined, Tsavo East- and West-National Parks form an unmissable Kenyan destination(s). Although they are perhaps less populated than some reserves and parks, they nevertheless offer incredible natural beauty and great wildlife, especially elephants. Gorgeous lodges seal the deal for couples looking for a wonderful wildlife experience or fun safari.
- Amboseli National Park: Over in southern Kenya, Amboseli National Park is famous for both its stunning views of Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania and the herds of elephants who call this national park home. As Kenya’s second most well-loved park (only after Masai Mara National Reserve), Amboseli offers excellent wildlife viewing of everything from elephants to rarer animal species alike, as well as dreamy accommodation.
3) Experience Lake Nakuru
Situated at the foot of the Great Rift Valley and protected by Lake Nakuru National Park, Lake Nakuru and its surrounds are arguably one of Kenya’s most beautiful and romantic travel destinations.
With everything from diverse habitats and landscapes to some 550 different plant species, including Africa’s biggest euphorbia forest and yellow acacia woodlands, this is a truly unique Kenyan gem.
And that is before you even consider the amazing animals and birdlife, unique viewpoints, camping and more that couples can savour together here.
Arguably one of the Lake’s most special offerings, though, are the endless pink flamingos found as far as the eye can see. Game spotting is also great here, with plenty of animals –from warthogs to waterbuck and giraffe – found around Lake Nakuru.
4) Visit Beautiful Lake Victoria
Another famous, equally fabulous African lake is Lake Victoria. Although not strictly a sole Kenyan treasure, as one of the African Great Lakes, it deserves a spot on this list.
Although the Lake primarily lies in Tanzania and Uganda, Kenya still borders this beautiful lake and from a travel view, each country stakes a key claim to it.
Lake Victoria scarcely requires an introduction – but if you aren’t clued up on this African beauty, here are some insights to inspire you and your lover to visit it.
Aside from its own beauty, the lake is also home to abundant wildlife – including rich birdlife, wetland animals (like otters) and more.
And as the world’s largest tropical lake and second largest freshwater one, Lake Victoria is a wonderful African (and global) attraction. Certainly one worth witnessing with your loved one.
5) Explore Masai Mara National Reserve Together
Located in southwest Kenya, Masai Mara National Reserve is one of Kenya’s most popular places to visit – and thankfully, it is no less romanticbecause of this.
This vast reserve, recently voted as one of the new Seven Wonders of the World, draws visitors from all over the world thanks to its stunning wildlife, game drives, hot air balloons, nature hikes, walking safaris and so much more.
Plus, with all kinds of amazing accommodation offerings, from magical safari camps to luxurious tented wonders, Masai Mara National Reserve is perfect for a romantic African getaway with your lover.
These are just a few of Kenya’s most romantic places to visit. So, whether you are planning an unforgettable African proposal or simply keen to make new lifelong memories together, these romantic destinations are sure to give you a new romantic high!